Thursday, July 20, 2017

Reaching the SUMMIT

Where a grain of sand is plucked from the ocean
 and transformed into a star.
Greatness is inspired.

33 Educators 
4 Days        
   +   1 Global Summit
INSPIRATION and GREATNESS          

       I have to admit I was nervous to leave my home town, fly to Calgary and spend 4 days with 32 people from all over the world whom, I had never met. To know that a global company was wanting to hear my ideas about their business. Who am I in comparison to all those other people attending. Who am I to be sitting at dinner with executives of a international company.  
          I quickly learned that I and the other 32 attendees, are viewed as the most valuable asset the company has. We are the teachers, technology directors, and users of their creations and the SMART Tech company truly wants to know how they could make our job easier. They want our input, our ideas, our knowledge to improve their product to match our needs.  To know how be a tool that would help us inspire greatness in our students.
         The chance to collaborate with teachers from all over the world has taught me so many things. First, that the spirit and passion of teaching is the same no matter what country you live in or which language you speak. As educators we all understand that at the end of the day it does not matter what tools, technology or funding you have if you cannot connect with your students they will struggle to achieve the greatness within. Second, no country, no teacher, no company has the perfect solution that will magically reach every student every time, however every student can be reached if they are never given up on.
        Four days felt like a minute as we worked and learned together, everyone sharing, everyone contributing. It did not matter if we taught math, science, languages, or preschool. Everyone could contribute because we were sharing our methods of teaching, how to incorporate the tools provided in today's technological world to boost our teaching to a new level. Though the Summit was hosted by SMART Tech never once did SMART try claim that student success was because of their product, they acknowledge openly that they  create tools for us to use and that they want to know and understand how they can support our needs.

      33 educators in one room, who know they have a voice is an amazing thing. Everyone was equals, there was no one saying my ideas is the best. The shyest of the shy found themselves commenting frequently. The teacher from the little town not found on a map soon found themselves having dinner with the executive of an international company, yet it felt like sitting down with an old friend. Everyone listened, Everyone learned, Everyone cared.
    I am excited to go back to school in  a month and use all that I have gained from this experience to improve my classroom. My upcoming preschoolers will be given a chance to see the world outside our tiny town as we collaborate with students from across the world. My coworkers will be challenged by myself to stretch their thinking as I share the ideas from this Summit.  Plus, I hope to bring one or more of them back with me to Calgary to be inspired in the future.

Thank you SMARTTech for seeing the greatness in the world of education 
and for lifting us up to the stars.





10 comments:

  1. Really well put, such an honour to be listened to and thought of in this way.
    Not to mention how great it was to meet you and hear all your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! You said it so perfectly! Was great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good time. A truly remarkable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great blog Tiffani. It was wonderful spending time with you at the Summit. I know you will inspire greatness in your students and peers when you return to school. SMART are amazing! From Stella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put Tifani! What an amazing experience for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SMART listen to SEEs... always! Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to Get to know you, Tifani ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to experience the Summit!

    ReplyDelete